13.9.11

espresso-chocolate shortbread cookies

And yes, they are as good as they sound!  They have a really authentic coffee taste to them, but not overpoweringly so.  The butter, espresso and dark chocolate make for a really rich tasting and utterly delicious cookie.


Note: As you can see, I made them into almost wafer-thin cookies - they were delicate and light - but the directions below give the dimensions for a slightly thicker, more substantial cookie and I think they would be even better this way.  

You will need:
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (I used Starbucks VIA)
1 tablespoon boiling water
2 sticks (8 ounces) butter, unsalted & at room temperature
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, or 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (optional)
……………………………………..

Dissolve the espresso in the boiling water, and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and confectioners’ sugar together until the mixture is very smooth.  This will take ages if the butter is not room temperature.  Incorporate the vanilla and espresso, then add the flour, mixing only until it disappears into the dough. Don’t work the dough much once the flour is incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate with a sturdy rubber spatula.

Transfer the soft, sticky dough into a gallon-size zip-lock plastic bag. Put the bag on a flat surface, leaving the top open, and roll the dough into a 9 x 10 1/2 inch rectangle that’s 1/4 inch thick. As you roll, turn the bag occasionally and lift the plastic from the dough so it doesn’t cause creases. When you get the right size and thickness, seal the bag, pressing out as much air as possible, and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, or for up to 2 days.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Put the plastic bag on a cutting board, slit it open and discard. Turn the firm dough out onto the board and, using a ruler as a guide and a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares. Transfer the squares onto the baking sheets and carefully prick each one twice with a fork, gently pushing the tines through the cookies until they hit the sheet.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets at the midway point. The shortbreads will be very pale–they shouldn’t take on much color. Transfer the cookies to a rack and if you’d like, dust the cookies with confectioners’ sugar while they are still hot. Cool the cookies to room temperature before serving.
……………………………………..

I stumbled upon this recipe at Smitten Kitchen but what I didn't realize, is that it's another one of Dorie Greenspan's recipes.  I must say, she knows her stuff.  If you'd like to check-out more of her recipes, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I will have to try this if I start baking again and find out the temp of my oven! I may have to pin this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - I also wanted to say I like the blog you got that receipe from. She has some yummy recipes. The sundried tomaote one is good!

    ReplyDelete