2.9.11

eight hundred years

While in Reims, we took advantage of the city and went to Notre-Dame de Reims.  The cathedral was originally built in 1211, which means it has witnessed 800 years of history.   Survived fires and wars.  Could you imagine?!  
What a momentous birthday.         

It was magnificent and surrounded 
by beautiful trees and benches.


It was in this exact church, that French kings were crowed



Myself and Kaytie


Inside the choir was practicing.  The sound was unbelievable.  Floating up the arches, bursting through the front door and filling the entire church with song.  It was so pretty I had goosebumps.

 

The stained-glass windows cast the interior in blues, 
pinks and purples.

 

I don't think Jake even noticed the church.  He was just happy to run over the cobblestones and find a few pigeons. 


 


(Just a little example of why learning French is so difficult - Reims is actually pronounce Rahnce, with a very throaty r.  Seriously French, why!?) 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, cool shoes Jake :) Aunty misses you so very much!! Nice pics Linds, it looks beautiful there xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I have goosebumps just reading about the sound of the choir!! I'm jealous. Love the new graphics. Beautiful photos linds!

    ReplyDelete