Since we recently acquired some Canadian maple syrup from the Christmas market here, I thought this was a fitting recipe to share. Our household loves this Maple Pecan Granola.
I modified this recipe from one I found in the Earthbound Organic Farm cookbook Food to Live By. I especially like the fact that this granola is sweetened with maple syrup and does not contain any butter. I love anything with pecans but as you can see below, you can customize it and use whatever type of nuts you prefer.
Homemade granola is surprisingly simple. It takes only minutes to mix the ingredients; then you can carry on with your day while it bakes for 45 minutes and fills your house with the sweet smell of maple and cinnamon. It is almost therapeutic.
I modified this recipe from one I found in the Earthbound Organic Farm cookbook Food to Live By. I especially like the fact that this granola is sweetened with maple syrup and does not contain any butter. I love anything with pecans but as you can see below, you can customize it and use whatever type of nuts you prefer.
Homemade granola is surprisingly simple. It takes only minutes to mix the ingredients; then you can carry on with your day while it bakes for 45 minutes and fills your house with the sweet smell of maple and cinnamon. It is almost therapeutic.
Note: Grade A dark amber maple syrup is recommended for this recipe but if you have found one that you like, it will work just fine. If you are short on the maple syrup you can substitute in some honey, but maple does give it a really lovely flavour. The original recipe calls for almonds instead of pecans and walnuts so feel free to substitute in 1½ of your favourite type of nut. The original also incorporates 1 cup of raisins after it is finished baking; dried cranberries would also be a nice addition. Serve granola with milk or yogurt and if fresh berries are in season, add a handful.
You will need:
4½ cups old-fashioned oats (not instant)
¾ cup raw sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 to 2 tbsp. cinnamon
½ cup flax seed (optional)
1¼ cups pure maple syrup
⅓ cup canola oil
¾ cup raw sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 to 2 tbsp. cinnamon
½ cup flax seed (optional)
1¼ cups pure maple syrup
⅓ cup canola oil
……………………………………..
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°FPlace the oats, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, flax seed and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the maple syrup and oil and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Spread granola onto rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, then stir. Continue to bake granola until it is light golden brown, dry and fragrant, approximately 15 - 20 minutes. Stir granola once more as it bakes and watch it carefully as it can darken quickly during the final few minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet. If you choose to add any raisins or dried cranberries, add them at this stage.
Once granola has completely cooled, transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for 1 month or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Image courtesy of Earthbound Organics

No comments:
Post a Comment