17.1.11

galette des rois

This weekend all of the wives got together for galette des rois or king cake in celebration of Epiphany.  These cakes are made of layers of light pastry and usually filled with an almond cream paste.  They can only be found in France during the month of January.

Baked inside each cake is un fève, a small figurine and whoever finds it in their slice is crowned the king or queen.  Tradition also states that the youngest person must crawl under the table and call out names to determine the order in which the slices of cake are handed out.  Somehow, the fève was in my slice of cake and I was "crowned" queen.  

All around town, every bakery and pastry shop window looks something like this.  Galettle du rios on full display adorned with paper crowns.  


Jacob was in quite the party mood.  After the initial shock of being in a new place and a couple shy tears he was having a great time.  I stuffed my diaper bag full of toys, books and  brought the Bumbo and he couldn't have been happier.  He sat on laps, showed off his army crawl and quietly read book after book in his Bumbo while we ate.

He was so good in fact, I had a hard time leaving.  I thought by around nine he was going to be so tired it would be clear to everyone that I must take him home to bed.  That did not happen.  Ten o'clock rolled by and here he is smiling away.  Having a ball.  Finally at ten thirty, with the happiest baby ever, I said I really must get him home.     

While we were enjoying cake, the men were on one of their longer road trips.  For this trip they left Friday night at 10 PM and bussed through the night to awake in Morzine.  High up in the French Alps of South-eastern France, just ten minutes from the Swiss boarder.

Billy's game day included a morning skate followed by a gondola ride up the mountain for hot chocolate.  He also enjoyed croziflette, a local dish made from pasta, bacon and reblochon cheese.  This was clearly not a typical game day but they happily ended up with a win later that night.  After another long night on the bus he arrived back home on Sunday morning.

Image courtesy of the book Paris Patisseries: History, Shops, Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment