31.1.13

slow cooking

I've been interested in our slow cooker lately.  Because somedays, by the time 4 o'clock rolls around, the last thing I want to be thinking about it prepping and cooking dinner.  And frankly, sometimes I feel like I'm out of ideas; like I've cooked chicken in every way possible, made every single salad combination out there and made pasta a million times.

So I'm looking for some new ways to use the slow cooker.  
Get that whole prepping and cooking thing over and done with in the morning.

Last week I tried salsa chicken and then shredded it for tacos.  It would have made a good taco salad too.



Here's what I did:

Add 1 jar salsa, 2 tsp. cumin, 1. tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. seasoning salt, 1/2 lime - squeezed, and 4 - 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Stir and cook on high (4-6 hrs.) or low (6-8 hrs.) Remove chicken and shred with a fork. Place meat back into slow cooker and stir in 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup cream cheese; mix. Spoon into tortillas and top with corn, black beans and avocado or your favourite toppings.

Up in till now, I've just been using it sporadically.  It seemed that all slow cooker meals are so meat-heavy and don't always look the most appetizing but I'm finding a few more modern recipes out there.  

 here, here and here are a few recipes that I am hoping to try.

1 comment:

  1. Just looking at that makes me hungry! Hope to try the recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete