11.1.13

late nights,

long nights, sleepless nights...
Pretty routine around here these days. 

It's funny how two babies can be so different.  Jake started off as a horrible sleeper and transformed into a super one right around the age Aves is now; Avery started off as a wonderful sleeper but is now a bit of a night owl.  Lately I'm lucky to get three hours of uninterrupted sleep.  But there have been a few occasions where Avery is up two or three times and then Jake wakes-up at 6:00 am (!).  Those are early mornings.  

It can be a little exhausting at times.  Luckily I have a wise friend, she's the kind of mom you want to be exactly like, who said "Sleepless nights wont last long. They won't!".  And of course, she's right.  It was just what I needed to hear.  So simple but true.  Such a valuable reminder. 

A few nights later, I found myself up late, walking back-and-fourth with a restless baby nestled in my arms and I suddenly thought that I'm probably going to look back on this as one of the happiest times of my life.  Surly not the happiest.  But one of them.  Definitely.  Holding your baby at night wont last either.  Those special moments will pass just as quickly as the ones that make you tired.  Who knew that having such a sleep-less baby was such a blessing.    

It holds true for Jake as well.  He has a cute habit everynight - after he's been tucked in and kissed and snuggled - of calling to Billy or I and saying, "I made some room for you. Come snuggle me" he then moves over a little and pats the bed beside him.  And whenever I am able to, I take him up on his offer because that too shall pass.


1 comment:

  1. How true, how true! There will come a day very soon when we will long to snuggle them and they won't be all that fond of it! Thank you for the reminder! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete