18.8.11

right in the middle

We are in the middle of a courtyard, on the middle floor of our building and very much on-the-fence about the place.  If you asked me on day one what I thought about the apartment I might have just burst into tears, but after catching-up on some much needed sleep and after lots of cleaning, it's not
looking quite as bleak.

The worst of it is the wallpaper.  Four different horrendous prints in four different rooms.  The color scheme is baffling.  Cream and red in one room; purples and gold in another; peach, green, purple and blue in another; and I'm not exactly sure what color you would classify our room, maybe it's in the burgundy family.  Our only reprieve is the living/dining room.  The only room without any wallpaper. 

Initially I told Billy he had to make the team paint over it, but I'm starting to think of it as less of a problem.  Sure, it looks awful.  Sure, nice-bright-white-walls would look so crisp and new and refreshing.  But I figure if our biggest problem in life is some ugly wallpaper we should probably be celebrating.  So I think I will.  I'm going to get some nice wine and some French cheese and celebrate how ugly this wallpaper situation is, and feel like the very luckiest girl.

The second worst of it is the layout.  Every room is it's own and has a door that can close it off from the rest.  Last year we had a nice airy open-concept, which I have come to realize is pretty rare in Europe.  I miss being able to see Jake while I am in the kitchen but we are working around it.

Here it is, all scrubbed and polished.  While it's isn't exactly glamorous, it has just a little bit of old charm like these bright floor-to-ceiling windows that open-up to the courtyard. 



 Our kitchen even has an oven this year, cute little tea towel hooks and a herb garden of fresh mint, chives and basil.  This is also the best of the four wallpaper patterns. 




This hallway is all purples and golds.  And not exactly in a trendsetting way.  I find myself wondering if the previous owner fell in love with this print, or if it was on a clearance sale?  I keep imagining it in clean white.      


The best part of this apartment is the location.  Basically just a block away from the rink and a nice quick walk into downtown.  We will be out enjoying the city often.

1 comment:

  1. Have a drink of wine for me too. Your right, life could be a lot worse. Cheers

    ReplyDelete