23.9.12

roasted creamy tomato soup

It's too hot for soup, really.  But my dad brought us these marvellous heirloom tomatoes from my Grandma's garden.  I would probably describe them as perfect and that's saying a lot because I don't even like tomatoes.  When you cut into these, they are meaty, deep red and juicy - with hardly any seeds at all.  My Dad calls them "Gigantiums" and although they are humongous-baseball-sized-tomatoes, I'm a little sceptical that is their actual name (sorry Dad ;).  What I do know however, is they are authentic tomatoes; the seeds were smuggled straight off the vine from Italy. 


So that's why we are enjoying homemade tomato soup (yes, oddly enough I like the soup but not fresh tomatoes) on a such a nice warm day.

My Grandma makes the BEST tomato soup so naturally I was going to copy her, however late in the game I realized I was missing a few key things so I decided to wing it, sans recipe, and it turned out pretty nice.     

First I sautéed one finely chopped onion and two garlic cloves in butter while roasting the tomatoes in the oven.  





Then I removed the skins and added the tomatoes to the sauteed mixture.  Let simmer.  Add basil, salt and pepper. Simmer some more.  


Remove from heat and add cream and a tablespoon of parmesan cheese.  And finally, blend 3/4 of the mixture until smooth, return to pot and enjoy!  Perfect with a fresh salad and grilled cheese sandwiches.  
... 

Fun fact: my Grandma harvested around 100 pounds of tomatoes from her garden!  Can you imagine?! 

3 comments:

  1. how many tomatoes did you use?
    going to make this tonight i think.
    we're planning on grilled sandwiches and soup but i didn't know what soup until i looked at your lovely w r i t t e n :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 big tomatoes! So maybe anywhere from 8 - 10 medium ones and a pinch of brown sugar too. In my grandma's oringinal version, she removes the seeds with a strainer but there were not many seeds and it seemed fine without this step. Totally your own preference. What a cozy meal, enjoy!

      Delete
  2. it was amaaaazzzing! thank you for the tips!!! we will surely make it again! joe loved it too. (my kitchen was a disaster afterwards. you made it look too easy!) Happy day Billy!!!!

    ReplyDelete