A complicated mixture of excitement and deep sadness accompanies the news that Billy will retire from hockey this summer. I am still absorbing it all, really. We are so happy to be closer to family and friends but will deeply miss the routines that we've carved out over the last ten years, all the places we've lived and travelled, and the hockey.
Of course, we'll miss the hockey... the moment they skate-out onto the ice; the atmosphere in the arena; the chanting and singing of the crowd; watching Jake's face light-up and his deep concentration and focus on the game; the feeling and energy after a good game or a big win - all such irreplaceable and indescribable feelings.
And of course there is France, too. Living in France was just as dreamy as it sounds. I could probably list a hundred things I will dearly miss. Sigh.
So instead of professional goalie, Billy is now going to be an accountant. The job may have come-up a year (or two) earlier then we would've originally liked, but it was just too good to pass up. It was ideal in every other way. In fact, they offered him the job on the spot and I really couldn't be more proud of how hard Billy worked to get there.
We look forward to making new memories and will hold on oh-so-tightly to the old ones.
.jpg)
oh tear. the excitement i have for you guys is huge--and i can feel the sadness too. your new life will be wonderful and you are so blessed to have had billy's talent take you around the world. we're happy to have been a part of it. we love you!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet picture of a young Billy. Upon seeing this I'm sure Jean and Graham must wonder how quickly this part of your career has progressed. It will be a new beginning but Billy will make a awesome accountant.
ReplyDelete